Type 1 EVSE Portable Charging Cable. Variable Amp - 6A, 8A, 10A - UK 3 Pin Plug
Type 1 EVSE Portable Charger Variable 6 amps, 8 amps and 10 amps
Charge your electric vehicle at your home, office or anywhere that has a 13A 3 pin Type G plug socket (BS 1363) with our type 1 portable chargers. Our portable chargers (also known as a granny charger or home charger) are compatible with hybrid and electric vehicles of 3kw (16A) and above charging capacity. The variable charging allows your EV to be charged at either 6 amps, 8 amps or 10 amps for faster or slower 'trickle' charging. Our home chargers are backed by a 1 year warranty. Should you need the Type 2 version of this home charger then please go to our Type 2 portable charger with 3 pin Type G (UK) plug.
You should only charge at the full capacity that the charger is capable of dependent upon the suitability of the power outlet, otherwise it may present a risk of thermal damage to your socket. Please ensure that your socket has been checked by a qualified electrician to assess the suitability of charging your vehicle using a mains socket and is protected against causes of overheating. For mains socket charging we recommend a dedicated Type B RCBO socket. Please ensure that the device is plugged directly and fully into the socket, do not use an extension lead with this device.
This portable charger has several safeguards for added protection while charging:
- Overvoltage Protection.
- Undervoltage Protection.
- Lightning Protection.
- Waterproof IP55.
- PCB Temperature Sensor.
- Device PCB Overheat Protection.
- Leakage Protection.
- Overcurrent Protection.
This portable charger complies with the IEC 61851 standard for charging the Type 1 socket range of electric vehicles. It is the 3 pin UK plug version, so it can be used with a 3 pin 13A mains socket and in any country that supports the Type G 3 pin plug.
What is the benefit of variable charging?
Most 3 pin home chargers, especially in the UK, only charge at a maximum of 10A even though the maximum current of a 3 pin plug is 13A. This is to protect the socket from overheating due to the long charging times that are sometimes required to charge an EV at 3.7kw. However, there are times when faster charging is needed and these portable chargers have a 12A option to provide a quick top up charge as well as lower settings, which require less power consumption and are suitable for solar powered charging. The portable charger will stop charging the battery of your electric vehicle once it has reached full charge.
The length it will take to recharge the battery for your hybrid / electric vehicle will depend on the battery that your vehicle is equipped with. Using your socket to charge regularly over long durations can cause thermal damage if the socket / wiring is not suitable.
Charging cable checklist
To ensure that the cable you purchase is right for you, please read the following checklist:
- Make sure the charging cable is compatible with your vehicle. The photos at the top of the page show you what the pins in the connectors look like so you can match the cable to your vehicle.
- Make sure that the length of the cable is sufficient to reach the charging socket of your vehicle. We recommend allowing at least half a metre so that the cable is not overstretched.
- If you do not have your electric vehicle yet, please check with the manufacturer or dealer / seller to confirm if it is already equipped with a 3 pin charging cable.
If in doubt, please contact us via our contact page.
How to use the variable EV charger
Please read the safety information in the user manual included with this charger before using it. If you do not receive this information, please contact us. Plug the device into into the power outlet and switch on. The required ampere setting can be selected by touching the device with the supplied RFID tag or by double clicking the button icon. Select the ampere setting to match the Ampage of your power outlet. Connect the vehicle charging plug to your Type 1 EV. After 1 minute or once you plug the EV connector into the car, the setting is 'locked in' and will be remembered the next time you use it. To change the setting, repeat the above procedure. Your vehicle software will communicate with the device and only draw the maximum amount of power that the battery can accept.
If you would like a Mode 3 charger that connects from a charging station to your EV, browse our range of Type 1 charging cables.
For trade enquiries or bulk purchases please contact us for a quote on our Trade Enquiries page.
|EVSE Portable Charger Specifications|
|Portable charger type||3-pin plug to Type 1 (SAE J1772) connectors|
|Cable lengths available||5M, 8M|
|IP grade||Waterproof and dust proof to IP55 grade|
|Rated current||6 amps, 8 amps and 10 amps|
|Operating voltage||110 - 240v|
|Cable thickness||3G 2.5mm2 + 2 x 0.5mm2|
|Certification||TUV, CE and IEC tested|
This Type 1 to Type 2 charging cable is compatible with the following EV's
|Citroen||Citroen Berlingo, Citroen C-Zero|
|Ford||Ford C-Max, Ford Focus Electric|
|Kia||Kia Soul 2017-2019|
|Mitsubishi||Mitsubishi i-Miev, Mitsubishi Outlander|
|Nissan||Nissan Leaf (Nissan Leaf models manufactured on and before 2017), Nissan NV200|
|Peugeot||Peugeot Ion, Peugeot Partner Van|
|Renault||Renault Fluence, Renault Kangoo T1, Renault Kangoo ZE T1|
|Tata||Tata Indica, Tata Tigor|
|Toyota||Toyota Prius (Toyota Prius models manufactured on and before 2016)|
Please contact us if your vehicle is not listed or match your vehicle socket to the photos above.
Please check that the charging socket of your motorcycle matches the photos above to confirm that this charging cable is compatible.
|BMW Motorrad||BMW C Evolution|
|Energica Motorrad||Energica Eva, Energica Ego|
|Victory Motorrad||Victory Empulse TT|
- Delivery / Returns
- EV Cables Warranty
- Which Cable For My EV? +
- Audi Charging Cables +
- Audi A3 Charging Cables
- Audi A6 Charging Cables
- Audi A7 Charging Cables
- Audi eTron 50 Charging Cables
- Audi eTron 55 Charging Cables
- Audi eTron Sportback 50 Charging Cables
- Audi eTron Sportback 55 Charging Cables
- Audi Q3 Charging Cables
- Audi Q4 e-tron Charging Cables
- Audi Q5 Charging Cables
- Audi Q7 Charging Cables
- BMW Charging Cables +
- BMW 225XE Charging Cables
- BMW 320e Charging Cables
- BMW 330e Charging Cables
- BMW 520e Charging Cables
- BMW 530e Charging Cables
- BMW 750e 760e Charging Cables
- BMW i3 Charging Cables
- BMW i4 Charging Cables
- BMW i5 Charging Cables
- BMW i7 Charging Cables
- BMW i8 Charging Cables
- BMW iX Charging Cables
- BMW iX1 Charging Cables
- BMW iX3 Charging Cables
- BMW X1 Charging Cables
- BMW X2 Charging Cables
- BMW X3 Charging Cables
- BMW X5 Charging Cables
- BMW XM Charging Cables
- Chevrolet Charging Cables +
- Citroen Charging Cables +
- Citroen Berlingo Charging Cables 2021+
- Citroen Berlingo Charging Cables to 2019
- Citroen C-Zero Charging Cables
- Citroen C5 Aircross Charging Cables
- Citroen C5 X Hybrid Charging Cables
- Citroen Dispatch Charging Cables
- Citroen e-C4 Charging Cables
- Citroen Jumpy Charging Cables
- Citroen SpaceTourer Charging Cables
- DS Charging Cables +
- Ford Charging Cables +
- Honda Charging Cables +
- Hyundai Charging Cables +
- Jaguar Charging Cables +
- Jeep Charging Cables +
- Kia Charging Cables +
- LEVC Charging Cables +
- Mazda Charging Cables +
- Mercedes Charging Cables +
- Mercedes A250e Charging Cables
- Mercedes B250e Charging Cables
- Mercedes C300e Charging Cables
- Mercedes C350e Charging Cables
- Mercedes E300e Charging Cables
- Mercedes E350e Charging Cables
- Mercedes EQA Charging Cables
- Mercedes EQB Charging Cables
- Mercedes EQC Charging Cables
- Mercedes EQE Charging Cables
- Mercedes EQS Charging Cables
- Mercedes EQV Charging Cables
- Mercedes eSprinter Charging Cables
- Mercedes eVito Charging Cables
- Mercedes GLA 250e Charging Cables
- Mercedes GLC 300e Charging Cables
- Mercedes GLE 350e Charging Cables
- Mercedes GLE 500e Charging Cables
- Mercedes S500 PHEV Charging Cables
- Mercedes S560e Charging Cables
- Mercedes S580e Charging Cables
- MG Charging Cables +
- Mini Charging Cables +
- Mitsubishi Charging Cables +
- Nissan Charging Cables +
- Peugeot Charging Cables +
- Peugeot 3008 Charging Cables
- Peugeot 308 Charging Cables
- Peugeot 408 Charging Cables
- Peugeot 508 Charging Cables
- Peugeot e-Expert Charging Cables
- Peugeot e-Rifter Charging Cables
- Peugeot e-Traveller Charging Cables
- Peugeot e2008 Charging Cables
- Peugeot e208 Charging Cables
- Peugeot Ion Charging Cables
- Peugeot Partner Charging Cables Type 1 Socket
- Peugeot Partner Charging Cables Type 2 Socket
- Porsche Charging Cables +
- Range Rover Charging Cables +
- Renault Charging Cables +
- Seat Charging Cables +
- Skoda Charging Cables +
- Smart Car Charging Cables +
- Tesla Charging Cables +
- Toyota Charging Cables +
- Vauxhall Charging Cables +
- Vauxhall Ampera Charging Cables 2012 - 2015
- Vauxhall Astra Electric Charging Cables
- Vauxhall Astra Hybrid Charging Cables
- Vauxhall Combo-e Charging Cables
- Vauxhall Corsa-e Charging Cables
- Vauxhall Grandland X Charging Cables
- Vauxhall Mokka-e Charging Cables
- Vauxhall Vivaro-e Charging Cables
- Vauxhall Zafira-e Charging Cables
- Volvo Charging Cables +
- Volvo C30 Charging Cables
- Volvo C40 Recharge Charging Cables
- Volvo EX30 Charging Cables
- Volvo EX90 Charging Cables
- Volvo S60 Charging Cables
- Volvo S90 Charging Cables
- Volvo V60 Charging Cables
- Volvo V90 Charging Cables
- Volvo XC40 Charging Cables - Electric
- Volvo XC40 Charging Cables - Hybrid
- Volvo XC60 Charging Cables
- Volvo XC90 Charging Cables
- VW Charging Cables +
- Audi Charging Cables +