DS 16/32A EV Charger Coiled / Spiral Cable For Charge Point / Home Charger. Type 2 to Type 2
32A Type 2 DS spiral charging cable.
This 1 Phase 32A spiral (or coiled) EV charging cable with secure locking plugs is a compatible DS charger that will also charge the 16 amp DS range of Type 2 hybrid and electric vehicles.
This spiral cable is a Type 2 charger, also known as a Mennekes charger, that will be compatible with home/office charging units and the public charging stations you will find at service stations and on the street, ie Mode 3 charging. Please note that these charging cables cannot be used to adapt or extend an existing charging cable. These charging cables have a 2 year warranty.
Should I buy a spiral cable or straight cable?
We have found that customers buying EV cables prefer to purchase a spiral charging cable as they are kept cleaner due to them not lying on the ground. They are also easier to stow away due to the coiling of the cable.
Spiral cables should also retract to their shortest length and will suspend in mid air between your EV and charge point. It can be argued that this makes them less of a trip hazard because they are more visible, but this obviously precludes people who are not paying attention to where they are going! Spiral EV cables will however, be more of an obstruction the longer the cable is from your EV to the charge point as people will have to clamber over (or in some cases under) them.
Due to the cable being suspended, the weight is concentrated on either end of the EV connectors, so this may compromise the connection into the the EVs socket or the socket of the charging unit, so this has to be taken into consideration. Please also note that the length from plug to plug is 5 meters. The cable would need to be fully stretched for 5 meters, so the usable length is usually around 4.5 meters.
Your decision to buy either a spiral charging cable or a straight one will be based on your usage, but do have in mind that a straight 16A DS charging cable or 32A DS charging cable can be routed more easily out of the way.
Do I need a 1 Phase 32A EV cable for my DS?
To date, our spiral 32 amp EV cables can be used with the following DS hybrid vehicles. This list is continually updated so please check your handbook, check that your vehicle socket matches the images above, or contact us if your electric vehicle is not listed:
A 32 amp charger is compatible with all listed models of DS hybrid / electric vehicles, but dependent upon the on-board charger and charge point, it may not be able to provide the advantages of 1 Phase fast charging. If you have a DS that has 3.7kw charging capacity then it will only charge to a maximum of 3.7kW. However, purchasing a 32A EV cable will allow you to use the faster charging capability of up to 7.4kw should you be looking to upgrade your EV in the future. If your vehicle has an on board charger that is capable of 11kW AC charging or greater, then a 16A 3 Phase charging cable or 32A 3 Phase charging cable is likely to be more suitable. Our DS charging cable is compatible but not manufactured by DS, so please check your vehicle handbook to check the suitability of this charging cable for your vehicle.
Can I buy a rapid charging cable?
Rapid charging cables are capable of providing between 25 kW and 350 kW of power. If your electric vehicle has a CCS socket (Type 2 vehicles) or CHAdeMO socket (Type 1 vehicles) then it is capable of rapid charging. These charging cables are predominately available at public charging points and the cables are attached to the charging station, so you will therefore not need to buy a rapid charging cable.
Is this a Mennekes™ charging cable?
The Type 2 EV connector plug was originally proposed by Mennekes leading to the Type 2 plug being widely known as the Mennekes plug. Although this is not a Mennekes branded cable or Mennekes branded plug, the EV connector / plug is the same design type as the one proposed by Mennekes. If your vehicle is a Type 2 to Type 2 then the Type 2 Female plug will fit into the vehicle inlet and the Type 2 male plug into charging station. If your EV is Type 1 to Type 2, the Type 1 Female plug will fit into the vehicle inlet and the Type 2 male plug will fit into the socket of a charging station.
Charging cable checklist
To ensure that the cable you purchase is right for you, please read the following checklist:
- Verify that the charging cable is compatible with your EV. The photos at the top of the page show you what the pins in the connectors look like so you can match the cable plug to your vehicle socket.
- This cable cannot be used to adapt or extend an existing charging cable. If a charging cable is already connected to a charging point, then this cable cannot be used to extend the length by daisy-chaining them together. The cable can only be used with the open socket of a charging point.
- Make sure that the length of the charging cable is suitable for your charging requirements. If you are using a public charging station, we recommend a length of 5 meters as it is not always possible to park so that the vehicle socket is near side to the charging station. If you are using the cable with a Wall charger at home or at an office, measure the length required to reach the vehicle socket.
- If you do not have your electric vehicle yet, please check with the manufacturer or dealer / seller to confirm if it is already equipped with a charging cable.
- This charging cable is compatible with AC charging stations commonly found in supermarkets, retail parks, on the street, and wall chargers typically installed outside a home or office. It is not a DC fast charging cable, also known as CCS and CHAdeMO. You do not need to buy a cable to use fast charging stations, as they are already connected to the charging station.
If in doubt, please contact us via our contact page.
We recommend the hi-vis colour for your DS charger
Due to the charging times required, Mode 3 EV charging cables can become an obstruction when the EV connectors are left between your vehicle and the charge point. Charging at public charge points, on your driveway or even in your garage means that your EV chargers are left as a possible obstacle, especially in the dark. Please be careful if leaving your EV charging cables unattended. High visibility charging cables are recommended to help minimise the risk of accidents.
If you would like a home charger to charge your DS EV using a domestic or industrial socket please browse our range of CEE and 3 pin portable EV chargers.
For trade enquiries or bulk purchases please contact us for a quote on our Trade Enquiries page. We also welcome orders for custom size cables, so if you are looking for custom cable lengths or different colour cables then please get in touch.
|DS Spiral EV Charging Cable Specifications|
|DS charger type||Mode 3, Level 2 charger. Type 2 to Type 2 (62196-2 to 62196-2) single phase EV plug connectors|
|Cable lengths available||5 metres|
|IP grade||Waterproof and dust proof to IP44 grade|
|Rated current||32A / 230V - up to 7.4kW (also compatible with 16 amp DS EVs)|
|Max charging capacity||7.4kW. Charging cable up to 32A 1 Phase|
|EV cable thickness||3G 6.0mm2 + 2 x 0.5mm2|
|Certification||TUV, CE and IEC tested|
Please use the rubber cover for your connectors when not in use and store the charging cable in a dry place. The EV connector plug can collect moisture and it will not work if it senses moisture.
- Delivery / Returns
- EV Cables Warranty
Which Cable For My EV?
- Audi Charging Cables +
- BMW Charging Cables +
- Chevrolet Charging Cables +
- Citroen Charging Cables +
- DS Charging Cables -
- Ford Charging Cables +
- Honda Charging Cables +
- Hyundai Charging Cables +
- Jaguar Charging Cables +
- Jeep Charging Cables +
- Kia Charging Cables +
- LEVC Charging Cables +
- Mazda Charging Cables +
- Mercedes Charging Cables +
- Mercedes A250e Charging Cables
- Mercedes B250e Charging Cables
- Mercedes C300e Charging Cables
- Mercedes C350e Charging Cables
- Mercedes E300e Charging Cables
- Mercedes E350e Charging Cables
- Mercedes EQA Charging Cables
- Mercedes EQC Charging Cables
- Mercedes EQV Charging Cables
- Mercedes eVito Charging Cables
- Mercedes GLC 300e Charging Cables
- Mercedes GLE 350e Charging Cables
- Mercedes GLE 500e Charging Cables
- Mercedes S500 PHEV Charging Cables
- Mercedes S560e Charging Cables
- MG Charging Cables +
- Mini Charging Cables +
- Mitsubishi Charging Cables +
- Nissan Charging Cables +
- Peugeot Charging Cables +
- Porsche Charging Cables +
- Range Rover Charging Cables +
- Renault Charging Cables +
- Seat Charging Cables +
- Skoda Charging Cables +
- Smart Car Charging Cables +
- Tesla Charging Cables +
- Toyota Charging Cables +
- Vauxhall Charging Cables +
- Volvo Charging Cables +
- VW Charging Cables +