Type 1 Portable Charger Variable Amp 5 Metres Black UK Plug
Type 1 EVSE Portable Charger Variable 6 amps, 8 amps and 10 amps
Charge your electric vehicle at your home, office or anywhere that has a 13A 3 pin Type G plug socket (BS 1363) with our type 1 portable chargers. Our portable chargers (also known as a granny charger or home charger) are compatible with hybrid and electric vehicles of 3kw (16A) and above charging capacity. The variable charging allows your EV to be charged at either 6 amps, 8 amps or 10 amps for faster or slower 'trickle' charging. Our home chargers are backed by a 1 year warranty. Should you need the Type 2 version of this home charger then please go to our Type 2 portable charger with 3 pin Type G (UK) plug.
You should only charge at the full capacity that the charger is capable of dependent upon the suitability of the power outlet, otherwise it may present a risk of thermal damage to your socket. Please ensure that your socket has been checked by a qualified electrician to assess the suitability of charging your vehicle using a mains socket and is protected against causes of overheating. For mains socket charging we recommend a dedicated Type B RCBO socket. Please ensure that the device is plugged directly and fully into the socket, do not use an extension lead with this device.
This portable charger has several safeguards for added protection while charging:
- Overvoltage Protection.
- Undervoltage Protection.
- Lightning Protection.
- Waterproof IP55.
- PCB Temperature Sensor.
- Device PCB Overheat Protection.
- Leakage Protection.
- Overcurrent Protection.
This portable charger complies with the IEC 61851 standard for charging the Type 1 socket range of electric vehicles. It is the 3 pin UK plug version, so it can be used with a 3 pin 13A mains socket and in any country that supports the Type G 3 pin plug.
What is the benefit of variable charging?
Most 3 pin home chargers, especially in the UK, only charge at a maximum of 10A even though the maximum current of a 3 pin plug is 13A. This is to protect the socket from overheating due to the long charging times that are sometimes required to charge an EV at 3.7kw. However, there are times when faster charging is needed and these portable chargers have a 12A option to provide a quick top up charge as well as lower settings, which require less power consumption and are suitable for solar powered charging. The portable charger will stop charging the battery of your electric vehicle once it has reached full charge.
The length it will take to recharge the battery for your hybrid / electric vehicle will depend on the battery that your vehicle is equipped with. Using your socket to charge regularly over long durations can cause thermal damage if the socket / wiring is not suitable.
Charging cable checklist
To ensure that the cable you purchase is right for you, please read the following checklist:
- Make sure the charging cable is compatible with your vehicle. The photos at the top of the page show you what the pins in the connectors look like so you can match the cable to your vehicle.
- Make sure that the length of the cable is sufficient to reach the charging socket of your vehicle. We recommend allowing at least half a metre so that the cable is not overstretched.
- If you do not have your electric vehicle yet, please check with the manufacturer or dealer / seller to confirm if it is already equipped with a 3 pin charging cable.
If in doubt, please contact us via our contact page.
How to use the variable EV charger
The required current can be selected by shaking the charging unit or swiping the supplied RFID tag. Within the first minute of plugging the home charger in the wall, select a suitable Ampere setting. After 1 minute or once you plug the EV connector into the car, the setting is 'locked in' and will be remembered the next time you use it. To change the setting, repeat the above procedure. Your vehicle software will communicate with the device and only draw the maximum amount of power that the battery can accept.
If you would like a Mode 3 charger that connects from a charging station to your EV, browse our range of Type 1 charging cables.
For trade enquiries or bulk purchases please contact us for a quote on our Trade Enquiries page.
|EVSE Portable Charger Specifications|
|Portable charger type||3-pin plug to Type 1 (SAE J1772) connectors|
|Cable lengths available||5M, 8M|
|IP grade||Waterproof and dust proof to IP55 grade|
|Rated current||6 amps, 8 amps and 10 amps|
|Operating voltage||110 - 240v|
|Cable thickness||3G 2.5mm2 + 2 x 0.5mm2|
|Certification||TUV, CE and IEC tested|
- Delivery / Returns
- EV Cables Warranty
- Which Cable For My EV? +
- Audi Charging Cables +
- BMW Charging Cables +
- BMW 225XE Charging Cables
- BMW 320e Charging Cables
- BMW 330e Charging Cables
- BMW 520e Charging Cables
- BMW 530e Charging Cables
- BMW 745e Charging Cables
- BMW i3 Charging Cables
- BMW i4 Charging Cables
- BMW i7 Charging Cables
- BMW i8 Charging Cables
- BMW iX Charging Cables
- BMW iX1 Charging Cables
- BMW iX3 Charging Cables
- BMW X1 Charging Cables
- BMW X2 Charging Cables
- BMW X3 Charging Cables
- BMW X5 Charging Cables
- Chevrolet Charging Cables +
- Citroen Charging Cables +
- Citroen Berlingo Charging Cables 2021+
- Citroen Berlingo Charging Cables to 2019
- Citroen C-Zero Charging Cables
- Citroen C5 Aircross Charging Cables
- Citroen C5 X Hybrid Charging Cables
- Citroen Dispatch Charging Cables
- Citroen e-C4 Charging Cables
- Citroen Jumpy Charging Cables
- Citroen SpaceTourer Charging Cables
- DS Charging Cables +
- Ford Charging Cables +
- Honda Charging Cables +
- Hyundai Charging Cables +
- Jaguar Charging Cables +
- Jeep Charging Cables +
- Kia Charging Cables +
- LEVC Charging Cables +
- Mazda Charging Cables +
- Mercedes Charging Cables +
- Mercedes A250e Charging Cables
- Mercedes B250e Charging Cables
- Mercedes C300e Charging Cables
- Mercedes C350e Charging Cables
- Mercedes E300e Charging Cables
- Mercedes E350e Charging Cables
- Mercedes EQA Charging Cables
- Mercedes EQB Charging Cables
- Mercedes EQC Charging Cables
- Mercedes EQE Charging Cables
- Mercedes EQS Charging Cables
- Mercedes EQV Charging Cables
- Mercedes eSprinter Charging Cables
- Mercedes eVito Charging Cables
- Mercedes GLA 250e Charging Cables
- Mercedes GLC 300e Charging Cables
- Mercedes GLE 350e Charging Cables
- Mercedes GLE 500e Charging Cables
- Mercedes S500 PHEV Charging Cables
- Mercedes S560e Charging Cables
- MG Charging Cables +
- Mini Charging Cables +
- Mitsubishi Charging Cables +
- Nissan Charging Cables +
- Peugeot Charging Cables +
- Peugeot 3008 Charging Cables
- Peugeot 308 Charging Cables
- Peugeot 508 Charging Cables
- Peugeot e-Expert Charging Cables
- Peugeot e-Rifter Charging Cables
- Peugeot e-Traveller Charging Cables
- Peugeot e2008 Charging Cables
- Peugeot e208 Charging Cables
- Peugeot Ion Charging Cables
- Peugeot Partner Charging Cables Type 1 Socket
- Peugeot Partner Charging Cables Type 2 Socket
- Porsche Charging Cables +
- Range Rover Charging Cables +
- Renault Charging Cables +
- Seat Charging Cables +
- Skoda Charging Cables +
- Smart Car Charging Cables +
- Tesla Charging Cables +
- Toyota Charging Cables +
- Vauxhall Charging Cables +
- Volvo Charging Cables +
- VW Charging Cables +