Type 2 Portable Charger Variable Amp 5 Metres Black UK Plug
Type 2 EVSE Portable Charger Variable 6 amps, 8 amps and 10 amps
Charge your Type 2 electric vehicle at your home, office or anywhere that has a 13A 3 pin plug socket (BS 1363). Our portable chargers (also known as a granny charger or home charger) are compatible with electric and hybrid vehicles of 3kw (16A) and above charging capacity and have variable charging to enable charging your EV at either 6 amps, 8 amps or 10 amps for faster or slower 'trickle' charging. Our home chargers are backed by a 1 year warranty. Should you need the Type 1 version of this home charger then please go to our Type 1 portable charger with 3 pin Type G (UK) plug.
You should only charge at the full capacity that the charger is capable of dependent upon the suitability of the power outlet, otherwise it may present a risk of thermal damage to your socket. Please ensure that your socket has been checked by a qualified electrician to assess the suitability of charging your vehicle using a mains socket and is protected against causes of overheating. For mains socket charging we recommend a dedicated Type B RCBO socket. Please ensure that the device is plugged directly and fully into the socket, do not use an extension lead with this device.
Multiple safeguards are built in with this portable charger to protect against damage to the vehicle, outlet and charger whilst charging:
- Overvoltage Protection.
- Undervoltage Protection.
- Lightning Protection.
- Waterproof IP55.
- PCB Temperature Sensor.
- Device PCB Overheat Protection.
- Leakage Protection.
- Overcurrent Protection.
This portable charger complies with the IEC 61851 and IEC 62752 standard for charging the Type 2 socket range of electric vehicles. It also has a Type A RCD with 6ma DC (Type B) fault current protection. The charger can be used to charge outside during rainy weather. Reasonable care should be taken to ensure that the device is not left in standing water and water does not enter the plugs. Please read the user manual that is included with our 3 pin chargers. The charger can be used with a 3 pin 13A mains socket and in any country that supports the Type G 3 pin plug.
What is the benefit of variable charging?
Most 3 pin charging cables only charge at a fixed current of 10A. These adjustable Amp charging cables function more like a charging station in that the vehicle and charger can adjust the current, if trickle charging is required or the vehicle limits the current for example. The lower Amp setting of 6A is also suitable for charging the vehicle using solar power. The device has inbuilt overheating detection and will reduce the current if the transformer becomes too hot. The charger also has a timer that allows charging to begin either 2, 4 or 6 hours after being plugged in to the EV, which makes it ideal for taking advantage of off peak electricity tariffs. The adjustable Amp 3 pin charging cable will stop charging the battery of your electric vehicle once it has reached full charge.
The length it will take to recharge the battery for your hybrid / electric vehicle will depend on the battery that your vehicle is equipped with. Using your socket to charge regularly over long durations can cause thermal damage if the socket / wiring is not suitable.
Charging cable checklist
To ensure that the cable you purchase is right for you, please read the following checklist:
- Make sure the charging cable is compatible with your vehicle. The photos at the top of the page show you what the pins in the connectors look like so you can match the cable to your vehicle.
- Make sure that the length of the cable is sufficient to reach the charging socket of your vehicle. We recommend allowing at least half a metre so that the cable is not overstretched.
- If you do not have your electric vehicle yet, please check with the manufacturer or dealer / seller to confirm if it is already equipped with a 3 pin charging cable.
If in doubt, please contact us via our contact page.
How to use the variable EV charger
Please read the user and safety instructions that come with this charger before using it. If you do not receive this information, please contact us. The required current can be selected by shaking the unit, double clicking a button icon, or swiping the supplied RFID. Within the first minute of plugging the home charger in the wall, select a suitable Ampere setting. After 1 minute or once you plug the EV connector into the car, the setting is 'locked in' and will be remembered the next time you use it. To change the setting, repeat the above procedure. Your vehicle software will communicate with the device and only draw the maximum amount of power that the battery can accept.
If you would like a Mode 3 charger that connects from a charging station to your EV, browse our range of Type 2 charging cables.
For trade enquiries or bulk purchases please contact us for a quote on our Trade Enquiries page.
|EVSE Portable Charger Specifications|
|EV charger type||3-pin plug to Type 2 (IEC 62196-2) connectors|
|Cable lengths available||5M, 8M|
|IP grade||Waterproof and dust proof to IP55 grade|
|Rated current||6 amps, 8 amps and 10 amps|
|Operating voltage||110 - 240v|
|Cable thickness||3G 2.5mm2 + 2 x 0.5mm2|
|Certification||TUV, CE and IEC tested|
- Delivery / Returns
- EV Cables Warranty
Which Cable For My EV?
- Audi Charging Cables +
- BMW Charging Cables +
- BMW 225XE Charging Cables
- BMW 320e Charging Cables
- BMW 330e Charging Cables
- BMW 520e Charging Cables
- BMW 530e Charging Cables
- BMW 745e Charging Cables
- BMW i3 Charging Cables
- BMW i4 Charging Cables
- BMW i7 Charging Cables
- BMW i8 Charging Cables
- BMW iX Charging Cables
- BMW iX1 Charging Cables
- BMW iX3 Charging Cables
- BMW X1 Charging Cables
- BMW X2 Charging Cables
- BMW X3 Charging Cables
- BMW X5 Charging Cables
- Chevrolet Charging Cables +
- Citroen Charging Cables +
- Citroen Berlingo Charging Cables 2021+
- Citroen Berlingo Charging Cables to 2019
- Citroen C-Zero Charging Cables
- Citroen C5 Aircross Charging Cables
- Citroen C5 X Hybrid Charging Cables
- Citroen Dispatch Charging Cables
- Citroen e-C4 Charging Cables
- Citroen Jumpy Charging Cables
- Citroen SpaceTourer Charging Cables
- DS Charging Cables +
- Ford Charging Cables +
- Honda Charging Cables +
- Hyundai Charging Cables +
- Jaguar Charging Cables +
- Jeep Charging Cables +
- Kia Charging Cables +
- LEVC Charging Cables +
- Mazda Charging Cables +
- Mercedes Charging Cables +
- Mercedes A250e Charging Cables
- Mercedes B250e Charging Cables
- Mercedes C300e Charging Cables
- Mercedes C350e Charging Cables
- Mercedes E300e Charging Cables
- Mercedes E350e Charging Cables
- Mercedes EQA Charging Cables
- Mercedes EQB Charging Cables
- Mercedes EQC Charging Cables
- Mercedes EQE Charging Cables
- Mercedes EQS Charging Cables
- Mercedes EQV Charging Cables
- Mercedes eSprinter Charging Cables
- Mercedes eVito Charging Cables
- Mercedes GLA 250e Charging Cables
- Mercedes GLC 300e Charging Cables
- Mercedes GLE 350e Charging Cables
- Mercedes GLE 500e Charging Cables
- Mercedes S500 PHEV Charging Cables
- Mercedes S560e Charging Cables
- MG Charging Cables +
- Mini Charging Cables +
- Mitsubishi Charging Cables +
- Nissan Charging Cables +
- Peugeot Charging Cables +
- Peugeot 3008 Charging Cables
- Peugeot 308 Charging Cables
- Peugeot 508 Charging Cables
- Peugeot e-Expert Charging Cables
- Peugeot e-Rifter Charging Cables
- Peugeot e-Traveller Charging Cables
- Peugeot e2008 Charging Cables
- Peugeot e208 Charging Cables
- Peugeot Ion Charging Cables
- Peugeot Partner Charging Cables Type 1 Socket
- Peugeot Partner Charging Cables Type 2 Socket
- Porsche Charging Cables +
- Range Rover Charging Cables +
- Renault Charging Cables +
- Seat Charging Cables +
- Skoda Charging Cables +
- Smart Car Charging Cables +
- Tesla Charging Cables +
- Toyota Charging Cables +
- Vauxhall Charging Cables +
- Volvo Charging Cables +
- VW Charging Cables +